Thursday, September 3, 2009

Praise the Lord, Command!

We are creatures of habit.

We've all heard it over and over throughout our lives, and to be frank, I HATE THAT PHRASE!!! Why do I hate it, you ask? Well first of all, because I hate things to be said over and over, it just bugs me. We hear it in sermons. We hear it on the evening news. But the main reason I am really hate hearing it is because IT IS SO TRUE! Every time it's used I am reminded that I have things I need to work on, things to change, and of course habits that I've created for myself that I keep going back to over and over again, as if there is some star wars style force pulling me back. Everyone hates to hear something that completely challenges them. This is something that challenges me.

These habits I speak of are, of course, habits that are not benefiting me at all.

I say all this because I have a habit that I want to break, majorly and not go back to. I am a worrier, if you have known me for longer than a month you know that I worry about things, and usually it's little things, but none the less I worry. When this worry comes upon me it makes my mind crazy, the first few moments and days of a certain worry I can handle it a little, but then my mind starts to think about all the times that I have struggled. Then I start to questions, 'why,' like "why did all that have to happen to me." Then I get sad, and that sadness can stay even after the worry leaves and if I don't control it or do something exciting and happy to make me forget, I will get depressed. And this, as you can imagine, causes me to have a very negative attitude. Sometimes all of this comes on me so fast. All of this causes me to have horrible headaches, and stomach problems for months on end. So basically this affects me in all areas of my life.

So I need to change. This is how: The 'Praise the Lord, Command!' So I originally came up with 'Praise the Lord, Project,' but it's not a project and it sounded a little too much like the movie Julie and Julia. It's something I am commanded to do every moment of my day and have disobeyed for way too long.

I wrote on facebook earlier this evening that we are commanded to praise the Lord and rejoice in him always and now I need to actually put it into action and you all are holding me accountable.

Everyday until the end of this year, December 31st. I am going to write a praise on my facebook wall, and if I want to expand I will expand here on my blog. I am doing it til the end of the year because I want to see how it changes things for me by the end of this year. Also the holiday season is always a hard one for me in one way or the other. This is a change needed and wanted. There are days I may not be able to write on facebook a praise, b/c I won't have a chance to get to the internet, but on those days I will make up for it with more praise the next few days.

So here's to following God's commands truthfully, positively and faithfully!

No comments:

Post a Comment